1. The Split Rail Bar broadcasts horse racing on its satellite television. Patrons of the bar are able to place bets with the bartender on each race. Does this amount to a violation of law? If so support your answer with CD and a statute number.
2. The Corvette Diner and Grill has a slot machine. Customers are given a token when they order. When the customer puts the token into the machine they receive a prize. Is this activity illegal? Support your answer with CD and a statute number.
3. Howard has decided to manufacture slot machines for distribution and sale. Will this be against the law? Support your answer with CD and a statute number.
4. Is there a defense for owing a slot machine? Support your answer.
5. In the back room of the Calico Pet Store, the owner Mack regularly holds poker games. On the average 8 to 10 times a week people play high stakes poker with cards. The casher for the pet store acts as the casher for the players. Does this violate the law? If so support your answer with CD and a statute number.
6. The second-year law enforcement students at STI want to raise money to attend the EVOC training. They receive a number of donate items that can be used as prizes. They decide to sell tickets that will be drawn at random to award the prizes. Is this against the law? Support your answer with CD and a statute number.
7. For a board game to be considered a lawful Bingo game, how many vertical and horizontal rows must the card contain?
8. Paul goes online and plays poker. He purchased “chips” via his credit card that must provide at the beginning of his session. Winnings are credited to the credit card account and losses are debited to the account. The server for the internet site is located in Nevada. Is Paul violating the law? Support your answer with CD and the statute number.
9. Officer Garnett is testifying in court. He claims he saw the defendant, Carmine, urinating on a wall in an alley behind Smoe’s Bar. It is determined the officer’s statement is not true. Has he committed a violation of the law? Support your answer with CD and the statute number. Does your answer change if Carmine is found not guilty in the trial? Again support your answer.
10. Richard is charged with burglary. Richard approaches his friend for an alibi at the time the burglary took place. At trial his friend, Fred, testified Richard was at their apartment when the alleged burglary took. However a surveillance camera upholds the truth, Richard committed the burglary. Besides the burglary who would you charge and with what crime? Support your answer with CD and the statute number.
11. LaTonya is unemployed. She completes and application to receive food assistance aid from the Department of Social Services. She does not disclose a $2,000 dollar a month civil judgment she receives as she knows it would keep her from qualifying for the assistance. Is this against the law? Support your answer with CD and a statute number. What class of crime would this be if the aid amounts to $435.00 per month?
12. What class of crime would a false statement given to a grand jury constitute?